"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival..."
-- U.S. Supreme Court, 1967, Loving vs. Virginia
The fight currently being fought at the Minnesota State Capitol is one that I cannot wholly relate to. I am a white, straight, American woman. My right to marry the man I love has never been questioned or brought to a vote. However, it deeply saddens me that same-sex couples are not able to have their love and commitment be legally recognized by our government. I really wish that I could be there, in Minnesota at the Capitol, right now to show my support for the Minnesota couples and families fighting for the right to have their marriages recognized.
Families are families, and love is love.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the legal recognition of same sex marriages. Well stated.
ReplyDeleteOh, Julie, how I adore you!!! You have such a kind heart, such a wonderful mind, and such a compassionate soul. I try so hard to understand the opposition to same sex marriage and I just haven't heard a convincing argument. Anything that creates unequal classes of people just feels morally wrong (and, frankly, dangerous) to me. I just don't understand the need to legislate love. So I greatly appreciate the elegant simplicity of your final sentence.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by the blog, Donnie! I'm so glad you were able to come out to Vegas. It was a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteKathleen, I totally agree with you about the inequality that it causes. Thanks for your nice comment!
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." 1Corinthians 13
ReplyDelete